Ahmedabad Metro Project-Work will start in June 2020 for Phase 2Samar Javed13 March 2020
Travelling for leisure and work is sure to get a boost once Phase 2 of Ahmedabad Metro becomes operational. Gujarat is not just one of the states with a huge business potential but attracts millions of tourists owing to its rich heritage and culture and for catering to the travel requirements of people, the convenience and ease of metro cannot be overlooked. With this thought in mind project for the metro in Ahmedabad was rolled out.
Ahmedabad Metro Project
- For reducing the travel time, enhancing real estate in the city and bringing convenience at the doorstep of the people of Ahmedabad, it was proposed to make Ahmedabad Metro Project a reality. 40 km long stretch of Ahmedabad Metro which was constructed in Phase 1 and 28.25 kms which is proposed in Phase 2 is deemed to be a massive link between Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar.
- The imprints of the metro date back to 2003, when the Gujarat Infrastructure Development Board carried out the study for developing a transport system between Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad. But the same got abandoned owing to the exorbitant cost and unfeasibility. Later in 2008, the project again picked up momentum owing to the fast pace of developments in and around the city and the need for developing a transport system which could cater to the increasing demands of expansion and it was in 2010 that GMRC was developed and Phase 1 of the project got approval in October 2014.
- The construction for the first phase began on March 14, 2015, and the Union Cabinet of India approved Rs 10,773 crores for the same. JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency) had extended Rs 6066 crore as soft loan for the project. The contribution from the state and the central government for the project is Rs 1990 crores each.
- The first phase of the project covers a distance of 40.3 kms. Out of this, 6.5 kms stretch has been constructed which is underground and the rest is elevated. This section was inaugurated by PM Sh. Narendra Modi Ji on March 4, 2019. This runs between Vastral and Apparel Park.
Ahmedabad Phase 2 Metro Highlights
- Ahmedabad Metro Project is operated under Metro Link Express for Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad.
- The construction for the second phase which is 28.254 kms long and covers 22 stations is expected to begin from June 2020 and is supposed to get completed by March 2024.
- After obtaining the approval of the Union Cabinet in February 2019, Gujarat Metro Rail Corporation (GMRC) had started the paperwork of constructing 28.2 km long metro stretch which forms Phase 2 of Ahmedabad Metro Project whose construction will start from June 2020. This 28.2 long stretch will connect Motera in Ahmedabad with Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar.
- The foundation stone of Phase 2 of Ahmedabad metro was laid by Prime Minister Shri. Narendra Modi in March 2019 and it was immediately after this ceremony that the centre had approved a budget of Rs 5384 crore upon submission of the geotechnical investigation report by GMRC.
- The second phase of the project will extend from Motera to Mahatma Mandir and it will have a separate line from Gujarat National Law University which will link Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University and GIFT City.
Impact on Real Estate
Connectivity is what the residents want especially in metro cities where distances are huge and commuting from one place to another takes lots of time. Ahmedabad metro has come as a saviour to the millions living in the city and apart from this, the project aims at giving a kick to the real estate market in the city.
This is so because Ahmedabad is one city which has a huge potential second only to Hyderabad when it comes to affordable housing.
Manufacturing, IT and education sectors have developed in the city and because of this the city has now become a commercial hub and decongestion is what people want.
The superb connectivity via Metro in housing areas like Narayanpura, Vasna, Paldi, Naroda and Thalej is nothing less than a knight in shining armour for the residents of the city.
Apart from giving the residents a sigh of relief, the metro has helped to give a boost to property prices in the city. Phase 1 of Metro extends from APMC, Vasna to Motera Stadium which forms North-South corridor and Thaltej Gam to Vastral Gam which forms East-West corridor. Property prices in the areas which are well connected to metro grow rapidly and investing in these areas is a smart decision. With the work of Phase 2 about to commence within a few months from now, the areas on the metro route map will witness a huge growth in price and investment at the right time in the property spread in the areas is sure to maximize the returns.
Save time and energy by commuting through Ahmedabad Metro and get soaked in the true colours of Gujarati culture around.