New Thoughts About Howrah Municipal Corporation That Will Turn Your World Upside DownAadil Saif 17 November 2020
Howrah Municipal Corporation
The credit of maintaining the famous Howrah Bridge which has been a part of numerous Bollywood movies goes to Howrah Municipal Corporation. Howrah is rightly called the gateway to Kolkata and thus the development has been at an all-time high in this city. Be it the Rabindra Setu (Howrah Bridge), Vidyasagar Setu, Nivedita Setu or Vivekananda Setu, the superb connectivity makes people ferry between Kolkata and Howrah without much difficulty and the onus of letting this happen across the Hoogly river rests on the shoulders of Howrah Municipal Corporation.
What is the Howrah Municipal Corporation?
Spread in a total area of 63.55 sq km, covering a population density of 21565 persons per sq km in 7 boroughs and 66 wards, Howrah Municipal Corporation is the administrative body which controls and manages the civic infrastructures and other administrative issues in Howrah city. The history of the development of Howrah Municipality dates back to 1862 and it was in 1984 that from Municipality, the status of the board got updated to Howrah Municipal Corporation.
What adds to the uniqueness of Howrah Municipal Corporation?
The mayor of Howrah Municipal Corporation is Dr.Rathin Chakravarty and the Chairman of HMC is Sri Arabinda Guha. Over the years, Howrah Municipal Corporation has streamlined its way of working and thus has made payment of taxes, applying for trade license etc. convenient and hassle-free for the citizens. As far as maintenance and upkeep of the infrastructure of the city are concerned, the Howrah Municipal Corporation is doing an excellent job in meeting the expectations and in the recent times, there has been a sporadic increase in the awareness programs and events run by the governing body to educate the people of the city.
Some of the interesting facts about Howrah Municipal Corporation are:
- Online portal: With social distancing being the new norm due to COVID-19 and the growing trend of online transactions, Howrah Municipal Corporation has also made its services online. From grievance redressal to payment of property tax etc, the online system is well established and ensures safe and secure transactions.
- Stadium: Sailen Manna Stadium has been the host to Durrand Cup Matches, UTT National Ranking Table Tennis Championships and many other tournaments. The upkeep and maintenance of this stadium which can accommodate 8000 spectators is the job of Howrah Municipal Corporation and the civic body has never failed to impress.
- Planetarium: If the celestial bodies excite you, then you must visit the planetarium situated in Sarat Sadan in Howrah. The single storied circular structure has 10m FRP perforated dome, 3D 4k video projector and 7.1 audio systems. An astronomical observatory with 2 telescopes is the added feature.
- Maintenance: The famous Indian Botanical Garden is in Howrah and apart from this there are around 83 parks and 250 ponds under the Howrah Municipal Corporation. The officers have been working for upkeep and maintenance of these public amenities. Apart from this, the preservation of the rich heritage of the city is the responsibility of the civic authorities and from Belur Math to Santragachhi Jheel to Howrah Bridge; the work done by the authorities is an example of their concern for the citizens of the city.
- Awareness projects: From Neelu and Pochu to attract children for understanding the importance of waste segregation and organizing a conclave on Solid Waste Management, Howrah Municipal Corporation is doing a commendable job in making the people aware regarding the proper waste disposal system. Apart from this, door to door Pulse Polio Immunization was done in the city under the aegis of Howrah Municipal Corporation. New self-help groups have been formed under Urban Livelihood Mission to support the people who have lost their jobs due to COVID-19.
Howrah Municipal Corporation is on the spree to make Howrah noticeable and loveable. For this, the authorities are working rigorously to provide the citizens with the best of the amenities and their efforts are targeted towards sustainable development.
Searches related to Howrah Municipal Corporation
Howrah Municipal Corporation Complaint
Howrah Municipal Corporation Trade License Download
Howrah Municipal Corporation Water Supply
Howrah Municipal Corporation Online Mutation
Howrah Municipal Corporation Recruitment 2020
Howrah Municipal Corporation Birth Certificate Online
Howrah Municipal Corporation Ward Wise Map
Howrah Municipal Corporation Address